Monday, 5 September 2011

Another game, at last

Out of the three games that I agreed, two were washed out by rain. This weekend (Sep 4), I had a game and at last, I was able to umpire. It was bright sunny day to begin with and there was no change in that state throughout the day. So finally after two washouts, I had a complete game.

This was game between Egmore RC and Perambur Club, a division 3 game. My colleague for the game was K. Kuberan. He is from year 2000 batch. He is also a cricket coach. He was coaching a division 1 team for 4 years. Both of us had reached the ground around 8:40 am. That gave us few time to catch up with each other.

It was the same ground where I did my firt game of the season. The ground was familiar. This time while choosing my end I chose the end opposite to the end that I chose last time. Again there is a lot of science as well involved in selecting ends, but I think if I start discussing that, it will be a complete post in itself. So I skip that for now.

At 9:01 AM, I went for the toss with the captains. This was the earlies time that I went for toss in any game. There is one more thing that I have to tell. It is rarely in my past games that both the umpires went together for toss in my games. Whenever only one umpire went, it had always been me who went for the toss. The law has changed in this regard now. Earlier it was not mandatory for the umpires to attend the toss. But now it is mandatory for one umpire to be present. Now do not ask me, why on TV, we do not see the umpires coming for toss. That is because, the tournament generally follows playing conditions, where match refree accompanies the captains for the toss.


Egmore RC won the toss and elected to bat first. Since the toss was done pretty early, everyone had plenty of time before the scheduled start. The game started on time. The bowling bagn from my colleague's end. The first ball was a wide. The very next ball, the batsman missed the ball, it hit his pad and there was a huge appeal and he was given out. So Egmore were 1/1 in 1 ball, not start that they would have hoped for. The first two overs were full of extras, as far as I remember only one run was scored of bat. To add to these extras, the bails were falling because of the wind at my colleague's end. Extras and this delay mean that it took 15 minutes to complete the 2 overs.


With the contributions from the bowler and with some good stroke making, the Egmore reached 45 at the end of 5 overs. This was enough a motivation for the captain of Perambur to make a bowling change. And the change brought immediate result. The very first ball, not the best ball, wide outside the off, pulled by the batsman, went high in the air to fine leg and the fielder made no mistake resulting in another wicket.

Will update the details of the game in few days...Happy waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment