The season for cricket has not started officially here in Belgium, but clubs have already started playing some friendly games to get into the zone before the league actually starts.
So I got a mail from the secretary of our umpire's association on April 9 asking me for my availabilty on the Sunday, i.e. April 11 for a friendly game. I was in fact tempted to say yes, as it had been a long time that I umpired and what is more better than a friendly game to start with. But then I had to give it a second thought. The IPL team that I support, Rajasthan Royals had a very important game that day. I was afraid that without my support, they could lose (which eventually they did). But this game was in Jaipur and their record in Jaipur so far was clean, I mean they had never lost there. So going by that myth I took a risk and accepted the invitation for umpiring (which was a terrible mistake as Royals not only lost but lost miserably).
This was game between Antwerp Cricket Club and Arcadian cricket club to be played in Rumst (near Antwerp). It was home ground for A.C.C. The game was about to start at 1330. It was a 40 overs game. So as per the Laws of Cricket, the umpires have to be there atleast 45 minutes before the game starts. Since I do not have a car, my collegue for the day Scotty (who is also the secretary of our association) offered me a lift. I had to be at the predefined pick-up point near Brussels Airport.
Sunday i.e. on April 11, I woke up early (around 9 am). Yes, by Sunday's standard, this is early. I did my daily chores and got ready by 11 am. Left my home about 1130 am clad in the umpire's attire (White T-Shirt,black trousers and white shoes). It was bright and sunny and I thought it would be a nice time out there in the middle. I was also a bit excited to have this opportunity of practice, before the actual league starts. I reached the pick up spot around 1220. Met Scotty and exchanged pleasantaries. Then we started off to the ground.
We reached the ground around 1245. The home team was present in full strength doing warm-up and some fielding drills. We met Jeremy there, member of the club and one of the umpires in the panel, also the webmaster of BLACU's website (http://www.blacu.be/). It was breezy out there in the ground. Scotty and myself went around the ground to have a feel of the ground. The sun went off and we started to feel the drop in the temperature. I was wearing only a T-Shirt, and in my mind I was thinking how would I stand out there in the middle for 40 overs in this condition. It was already 1330 and the visiting team had not shown. So already a delayed start was on the cards.
Around 1335 we saw the first signs of the visiting team reaching the ground. We met both the captains and took the team sheets. It was decided that they will have a 14 a side game. The visitors had only 12, so the home team loaned 2 of their players. This would mean that at any point of time only 11 players will be on the field but all 14 will bat. There can be any number of substitutions and law with respect to player occupying the field after he has gone out will have no role to play.
When we came back to prepare ourself for the game, my colleague was kind enough to lend me his fleece. This helped a lot to counter the cold weather (at least to begin with). We went for the toss. The home captain tossed the coin, the visiting captain called heads and the result was tails. The home captain decided to bat. We agreed that we would reduce the game to 35 overs a side and the game would start at 1355.
The game started and I started at the Striker's end. It was cold and I was wondering if I could pass the endurance test. The second over, which was my firt over from the bowling end began with a wide. With the cold wave, I was happy to strech my arms to signal it. It was not an auspicious start and it was evident in a minute when the bowler went for a six in the same over. I was happy now to strech my arms above the head to signal six. Not bad exercise in a cold weather. The over was an action packed one. The batsment who was hitting effortlessly was now at a non striker end. I do not exactly know what went through his mind. He all of a sudden went for a non existing single, when the batsman hit the ball to mid off. It was an easy run out decision at my end. Another chance to strech my arm.
The bowling from Arcadians ws not exceptional. They were viewing the game as just a practice opportunity and in my opinion, there was no intent of winning that was visible. There were lot of catches dropped. But with the cold weather, no one would have dared to take the skiers. The home team set visitors a target of 204 in 35 overs, which was indded a good target.
I was releived at the end of the first innings. It was too cold to stand out there. I just verified the scores with the scorers and rushed into the club house. We were served with the lunch. There was vegetable sandwiches and I was releived that there was something vegetarian. It was getting coler and colder and the thought of another 35 overs was making me nervous. My colleague was again very generous and he understood the situation very well and gave another windsheeter to wear on. So now I was clad in the fleece and the windsheeter. This gave me some more comfort and strength to stand out there in the middle for another 35 overs.
The chase was not great but the bowling was very good. The fielding was also much better than the visiting team. But since it was 14 a side, there were plenty of batting to come. The batting lasted till the 35 overs and the visiting team could score only 142 losing 11 wickets. The ordeal for me was now over and I could get into the club house. We spent there some time and then Scotty and myself left the ground. It wass very warm in his car and I was very happy. He dropped me back in the airport. By the time I reached home it was 9 pm and I was very tired.
The much awaited season had un-officially begun and it was a cold start. Hoping that the coming days on the field would be better.
No comments:
Post a Comment